**unedited, subject to change*


“We packed a lot of apples,” I said, looking over my shoulder through the back window at the apples in the bed of the truck. “Do you guys sell out?”

“Most of the time,” Fallon said.

The drive to the farmer’s market wasn’t long and soon we were pulling up to a booth.

We hopped out of the truck and Fallon grabbed the banner for the booth out of the backseat while I began unloading the apples.

I was surprised to see a line already forming before we’d even finished setting up the booth.

It was longer than most of the lines in the farmer’s market.

“Good morning, Fallon,” the first customer in line said.

“Good morning, Paula,” Fallon said. “How are you?”

“I’m okay.”

“You want your usual amount?”

“Yes, please.”

Fallon nodded and got to work fill bags with several different types of apples.

“Fallon,” Paula said. “I just wanted to let you know that we’re all just…devastated by Mitchell’s passing. If there’s anything you need…”

“I appreciate that, Paula,” Fallon said. She looked up at me. “This is Mitchell’s grandson, Harrison.”

I took a step forward and held out my hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you as well,” she said. “I don’t know why I didn’t figure it out sooner. The resemblance…”

I smiled at her. “I hear that a lot.”

I tried to remove my hand from hers, but she clutched it tighter and leaned forward.

My eyes widened slightly when she licked her lips. “If there is anything you need,” she whispered as she over-exaggeratedly poked her chest out in my direction. “Don’t hesitate to call.”

“Here’s your order, Paula,” Fallon said, shoving two bags in Paula’s direction.

Paula finally released my hand and slipped a card in the front pocket of my shirt and then passed Fallon cash for the apples.

“Thanks,” she said. “I guess I’ll see you at the festival?”

“Yep,” Fallon said.

Paula looked at me again. “You’re coming to the fall festival, aren’t you, Harrison?”

“Uhhh–”

“You have to! And there’s a fall ball on the last night, so I’ll be sure to save a dance for you,” she said with a wink, as she backed away. “Thanks, Fallon. Bye Harrison.”

I gave her a polite smile and waved, and then turned to find Fallon staring at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing,” she said, smirking at me. “Just be prepared for more of that.” She tilted her chin, pointing at the long line that was growing longer by the second, with quite a few more women.

“What?” I guffawed. “Nah. They’re here for the apples, not me.” 

“Okay,” she laughed, “It’s cute how oblivious you are about what is going on.” 

“What is going on?”

Fallon stopped filling up a bag of apples and looked up at me. “The only reason all those women are suddenly interested in our apples is because they want to get an up close look at Mitchell’s hot grandson.”

“You think I’m hot?” I said, leaning a bit closer to her.

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. “You’re missing the whole point, Briggs.”

My lips lifted up into a grin. “Not from where I’m standing.”

She exhaled slowly and then pushed me away. “We’ve got work to do. Stop being a distraction,” she ordered before turning to greet the next customer. I stared at her for a moment and then I got to work, helping with the orders.